Tuesday, August 11, 2026

Colombia Earthquake: Death Toll Hits 132 as Rescuers Search for More Than 2,700 Missing.

Colombia Earthquake: Death Toll Hits 132 as Rescuers Search for More Than 2,700 Missing.

A powerful magnitude 7.4 earthquake has killed at least 132 people and injured hundreds in western Colombia, as rescue teams continue a desperate search for survivors trapped beneath collapsed buildings.

The earthquake struck on Monday, with Cali, Pereira and parts of the Chocó region among the worst-affected areas. Authorities said the disaster caused widespread destruction, with about 1,600 buildings damaged or destroyed.

More than 2,700 people were reported missing on citizen-run websites, although officials cautioned that the figure does not necessarily represent the number of people formally confirmed missing.

Cali recorded dozens of deaths, while authorities in the Risaralda region, where Pereira is located, reported at least 40 fatalities. Additional deaths were reported in Chocó, Caldas and Antioquia.

The number of injured has also risen sharply. Authorities initially reported at least 87 injured people, but officials later said around 700 people had been injured in Valle del Cauca alone.

Rescue Operations Continue

Soldiers, firefighters, emergency workers, volunteers and residents have been working around the clock to locate people trapped under rubble.

In Cali, volunteers formed human chains to remove bricks and concrete by hand, while rescue teams repeatedly stopped to listen for signs of life.

Firefighters said two women and two children were rescued from a collapsed building. In Pereira, rescuers were reportedly communicating with a boy trapped beneath a bakery as cranes removed dangerous sections of damaged structures.

A hospital in Cali was also severely damaged, with several upper floors collapsing. Some patients became trapped, while hundreds of others had to be treated outside the facility because of the damage.

The Chocó region presents an additional challenge because many areas are remote and accessible mainly by boat or aircraft. San José del Palmar was identified by the United States Geological Survey as the earthquake's epicentre.

Colombia's Geological Service reported at least 21 aftershocks and warned that additional tremors could occur.

Government Declares Emergency

Newly elected President Abelardo de la Espriella declared that rescuing survivors was the government's top priority and ordered the deployment of about 1,000 security personnel to Cali.

Nighttime curfews were imposed in several cities, including Cali, Armenia and Manizales, amid concerns about looting.

The government also declared a national state of emergency and promised rental assistance for people whose homes were destroyed or severely damaged.

Hospitals in five cities were placed on red alert, while several airports were temporarily suspended to allow authorities to inspect their structures.

International Aid

The United States announced $15.5 million in emergency assistance to help provide shelter, food and other relief supplies.

The European Union said it had activated the Copernicus satellite service to support rescue and damage-assessment operations.

El Salvador and Mexico also offered assistance, including rescue teams, medical personnel, paramedics and emergency supplies.

As rescue operations continue, authorities fear the death toll could rise as emergency teams reach more isolated communities and assess the full extent of the destruction.

0 Comment about the Post: