Tuesday, August 18, 2026

At Least 42 Children Injured in Afghan School Blast – UN

At Least 42 Children Injured in Afghan School Blast – UN

At least 42 children have been injured after a blast at an education centre in Kabul, Afghanistan, the United Nations mission in the country said on Tuesday.

The victims, aged between nine and 14, were injured in Monday’s explosion at a school in the Dasht-e-Barchi area of western Kabul, a neighbourhood largely inhabited by the historically persecuted Shiite Hazara community.

The UN said it had yet to establish the exact circumstances surrounding the blast, with conflicting reports suggesting it may have been an attack or an explosion involving unexploded ordnance.

Afghanistan’s Directorate of Mine Action Coordination, which investigated the scene, said a grenade exploded at the school. Kabul police had earlier provided a similar account.

UN officials called for a full investigation into the incident and urged authorities to ensure that schools and education centres remain safe.

The blast reportedly occurred as pupils were being dismissed from the private primary school. A local resident told AFP that numerous people were wounded.

Afghanistan continues to face the threat of explosive remnants of decades of conflict, while militant attacks have also remained a concern under Taliban rule.

The Dasht-e-Barchi area has previously witnessed several deadly attacks, including a 2021 bombing outside a girls’ school that killed at least 90 people and injured hundreds.

The Islamic State group has claimed responsibility for several attacks in the area targeting members of the Shiite Hazara community.

0 Comment about the Post: