US President Donald Trump has delayed the planned 50% tariffs on about $20 billion worth of Canadian imports after the United States and Canada reached a last-minute agreement to continue trade negotiations.
Trump announced the decision on Tuesday, less than two hours before the tariffs were scheduled to take effect at 12:01 a.m. Wednesday.
The president said the tariffs would be suspended for three days while both countries finalise the details of the agreement.
The proposed tariffs would have affected a wide range of Canadian goods, including products such as hockey sticks and medical supplies. Canada had threatened to retaliate with its own tariffs, raising concerns about further deterioration in relations between the two long-standing allies.
The United States and Canada exchanged about $880 billion in goods and services last year, making the dispute economically significant for both countries.
The White House said Canada had committed to removing measures that the Trump administration considers discriminatory against US alcohol, dairy and motor vehicle exports. Canadian officials did not immediately confirm those commitments.
Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney said substantial progress had been made in the negotiations but acknowledged that important issues still needed to be resolved.
The three-day pause gives both governments additional time to finalise the agreement and potentially avoid a wider trade confrontation.

0 Comment about the Post: