Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Qatar Rejects Iran’s Claims That It Is Holding Missing Pilots

Qatar Rejects Iran’s Claims That It Is Holding Missing Pilots

Qatar has dismissed Iran’s allegations that it is secretly detaining three Iranian military pilots whose aircraft crashed during the conflict, describing the claims as “completely baseless, false and illogical.”

Qatari Foreign Ministry spokesperson Majed al-Ansari said Tuesday that Doha had already handed over the remains of one pilot to an Iranian delegation after they were recovered in April.

Iranian officials have claimed that three pilots — Javad Salehi, Abdolmajid Dashtian and Omran Behraveshian — survived the crashes and were captured alive by Qatar. Iranian General Mohammad Bagherzadeh also appealed to the International Committee of the Red Cross for intervention, saying the men had been held for six months without communication.

Al-Ansari rejected the allegations, saying the Iranian aircraft had violated Qatar’s airspace and sovereignty and were dealt with according to the law. He added that Qatar had invited Iran to send a technical team to examine the search operations, but Tehran had not responded.

The dispute follows an Iranian attack on the Al Udeid airbase in Qatar, which hosts US Central Command personnel. Qatar said it shot down two Iranian Su-24 bombers during the attack.

Despite the escalating accusations, al-Ansari said Qatar remained committed to diplomacy and dialogue while warning that Doha would defend its people, territory and sovereignty against any attack.

0 Comment about the Post: