Monday, August 10, 2026

Colonel Ma’aji: I Planned Coup Against Tinubu Out of Patriotism, Not Personal Ambition

Colonel Ma’aji: I Planned Coup Against Tinubu Out of Patriotism, Not Personal Ambition

Nigerian Army Colonel Mohammed Ma’aji, accused of being one of the key figures behind an alleged plot to overthrow President Bola Tinubu’s administration, has said his actions were motivated by patriotism and concern over Nigeria’s worsening economic and social conditions.

Ma’aji said his concerns were driven by what he described as poor governance, economic hardship, declining welfare and the difficult conditions facing members of the Nigerian military.

According to him, he became increasingly worried about the country’s direction after experiencing difficulties providing for his five children on his salary.

He also expressed concern over the welfare of soldiers, particularly military personnel who sustained injuries during combat. He alleged that some wounded soldiers receiving treatment at the 44 Nigerian Army Reference Hospital in Kaduna were not getting adequate care.

The colonel said the alleged plan was intended to bring together military officers who shared similar concerns about the state of the country. However, he maintained that the plan had not reached the stage of execution when he was arrested.

“We were still at the stage of mobilising to get more officers involved,” Ma’aji said.

He claimed that no specific date had been fixed for the alleged operation and that the group had not been fully formed because further meetings and the mobilisation of additional officers and resources were still required.

Ma’aji also denied any foreign involvement in the alleged plot. He said he personally financed much of the plan, while former Minister of State for Petroleum Resources, Timipre Silva, allegedly contributed about N400 million.

The officer said widespread dissatisfaction within the military, as well as unsuccessful attempts at securing promotion, contributed to the revival of the movement.

He called for the establishment of a formal channel through which military officers could raise concerns with the Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant General Waidi Shaibu, without fear of victimisation.

Ma’aji also advocated better salaries, improved welfare packages, stronger pension benefits, educational support and measures to address corruption in both the country and the armed forces.

He criticised the removal of the fuel subsidy, arguing that the policy should have been phased out gradually.

Following his arrest, Ma’aji appealed to the authorities for leniency and pardon, describing himself and the other accused persons as first-time offenders.

He said the experience had changed his perspective and insisted that the alleged plan was not intended to destabilise Nigeria.

The alleged coup plot was uncovered in September 2025 and reportedly led to the cancellation of the October 1 Independence Day parade and changes in the military leadership, including the removal of Christopher Musa as Chief of Army Staff.

0 Comment about the Post: