At least 100 civilians were killed after a Nigerian military airstrike struck a crowded market in Tumfa, located in Zurmi district of Zamfara State, according to Amnesty International.
The attack reportedly occurred on Sunday when military jets bombed the busy marketplace, leaving dozens more injured. Amnesty said many of the victims were women and girls, while injured survivors were taken to hospitals in Zurmi and nearby Shinkafi for treatment.
Witnesses said aircraft were seen circling the area earlier in the day before returning hours later to launch the strike on the crowded market.
The Nigerian military has not officially commented on the incident but has consistently maintained that its air operations are based on intelligence and aimed at armed groups, not civilians.
The incident is the second deadly market airstrike in northern Nigeria within a month. In April, another military strike reportedly killed around 200 civilians at a market in Jilli, Yobe State, prompting an official investigation.
Amnesty International condemned the latest attack, describing it as unlawful and accusing authorities of showing disregard for civilian lives. The rights group called for an immediate and transparent investigation into the bombing.
Nigeria continues to battle armed bandit groups in the northwest and a long-running insurgency in the northeast, while concerns grow over rising civilian casualties linked to military operations.
